Maverick Model 3D is a 3D model editor that supports skeletal and vertex frame animations. It is based on Misfit Model 3D that was developed by Kevin Worcester from 2004 to 2009. Maverick Model 3D is maintained by Zack Middleton (zturtleman).
- Online Help Manual
- News (blog, twitter)
- Discord live-chat (Fragmint★Wonderland)
- Source Code (license: GPLv2+)
- Issue Tracker
Maverick Model 3D fixes various issues, improves MD3 model support (including fixing normals in exported player upper.md3 and head.md3), adds support for saving IQE and SMD models, improves Windows and macOS support, and uses Qt 5.x. See the ChangeLog file or source code history for more details. Tutorials for Misfit Model 3D should be usable with Maverick Model 3D.
The .mm3d file format was extended to save Loop flag for skeletal and vertex frame animations and changed version to 1.7.
Supported model formats:
- Misfit MM3D
- Milkshape MS3D
- Quake MD2 — Note: Exports unoptimized/slow GL commands
- Quake MD3
- Wavefront OBJ
- Inter-Quake Export IQE — Write-only (Maverick Model 3D 1.3.10+)
- Studiomdl Data SMD — Write-only (Maverick Model 3D 1.3.11+)
Incomplete unmaintained model formats:
- COB — Geometry and Texture map
- DXF — Geometry and color materials
- Lightwave LWO — Limited texture map (read-only)
Maverick Model 3D 1.3.12 (October 7 2019). Announcement post.
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.12 — Windows 7 or later
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.12 — macOS 10.11 or later
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.12 — Source code (ZIP)
It also builds and runs on GNU/Linux but no pre-built version is available at this time. It is packaged in Debian 10 and later as the mm3d package, Ubuntu 18.04 and later as the mm3d package, and Fedora 30 and later as the mm3d package.
Quake 3 Player from Misfit Model 3D
To export a Quake 3 player model from a .mm3d model created with Misfit Model 3D you will need to set some of the animations to be looping. On the menu bar click Animation and then click Start Animation Mode. Select the animations listed as looping in the MD3 player animation table in the manual and click the Loop checkbox for each of them. Animation looping is saved by Maverick Model 3D in .mm3d models.
Maverick Model 3D has translations for English (en), French (fr), German (de), and Slovak (sk) provided by these translators. The translation should automatically be used if it’s your system language. Otherwise you can select a translation using command line arguments. For example:
mm3d.x86.exe --language fr
If you want to improve a translation you can edit the ts file here. To create a new translation, start with a copy of mm3d_ref.ts. You can submit the changes using a pull request on GitHub or email the ts file to me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you want to test your translation (not required) you need to install Qt 5 development tools. Run “lrelease.exe mm3d_fr.ts” to create mm3d_fr.qm and then move the qm file into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Maverick Model 3D\i18n\ folder.
Maverick Model 3D 1.3.11 (January 2 2019). Announcement post.
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.11 — Windows 7 or later
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.11 — macOS 10.11 or later
- Maverick Model 3D 1.3.11 — Source code (ZIP)
Maverick Model 3D 1.3.10 (September 5 2018). Announcement post.